Thursday, May 11, 2006

Spring on the farm

It has been a very busy week for us on the farm. The weather co-operated and all the corn has been planted and most of the soybeans are in the ground. Now, after one week of sun, we have received some badly needed rain. So today is the time to catch up on things that did not get done. It is not that I have to be out in the field all the time, but I have to be available . That means staying around the phone, so I can bring the needed item, being a tractor or seed or what not to the designated spot at the right time.Last week I went for a walk to the back of our farm to take some pictures, but the batteries on my camera gave up. This week I went again and my favorite, the Jack-in-the-pulpit, was in full bloom. Most years we have lots of trilliums with a few Jack-in-the-pulpits thrown in for good measure. This year was different.Not many trilliums, but lots of "Jack's". Even a very lonely red trillium. Even with all this dry weather the marsh marrigold are blooming profusely. A few months ago I had signed up for Ricky Tim's seminar in Ailsa Craig.If things were too busy here I would stay home and try to find somebody to take my place. But that was not necessary. Things were caught up, so off to Ailsa Craig it was. And I was very happy I did. This was something new for me.Instead of a hands-on workshop it was done in college style. I had my doubts, but it worked. The hand-out was excellent and his way of explaining techniques was very good. And of course he brought his fabulous quilts. To bad I won't have the time to try all these new ideas out. But there is always next winter!

No comments:

Post a Comment