Wednesday, February 25, 2009
I have been busy making a few baby quilts. Each time I try to upload a picture it won't work. Right now it is early in thge morning and I will give it another try. Usually I make the quilt and send it away, but this time it was picked up right at our place. Baby Vivian and her mother visited us and took the quilt home with them to Nova Scotia. We still have our Internet problems, but it works somewhat better. The weather has been snowy and windy and that might not have helped it either. Better see if this will work. If so a picture of the other quilt will follow
Wednesday, February 18, 2009
This will be quick. We still have problems with our Internet. It is 95% of, 5 % working. Somebody has to go back on the roof, but the weather is not cooperating. It is back to winter with snow and hard winds I did load 2 pictures up, but as you see, they did not show up. This all has been very frustrating and I hope we will get it all sorted out soon. I better publish this before we loose our connection again. I will be back as soon as this all has been sorted out
Wednesday, February 11, 2009
Last week we finally were hooked up to the Internet....kind of. Either it worked perfect or not at all. We phoned back to the company on Monday and yesterday the technician came out and put a receiver on the top of the roof. Better...but still no sigar. He came back today and put a bigger receiver on the roof and so far so good. This is as good as it will get I was told. Now to the transportation. Last week hubby skidded through an intersection in town and got hit by another car. The car is in the garage and will be gone for another week or so. Now I can drive the big truck, but that one let us down yesterday. It was the day to take Riley for her yearly check-up at the vet's. Half way there the truck just stopped dead. We had to get the tow truck out. Since there was not enough room for all of us and the dog in the cab, I had the first time experience of driving backwards in the cab of a towed truck with a slobbering dog. Riley thought it was great. I could have done without. So we are down to the old "chore" truck and and that one is not fit to go anywhere,except the barn. It is a job just to get in the door, that with all the tools, shovels and you know what I did get some work done. The koi I found in one of Susan Briscoe's books. I did them in sashiko with an overdyed pearl cotton. I found a small piece of fabric with koi and put that in the center. It is machine quilted. Since this blue fabric was from Japan and only 14 inches wide I ended up with nothing for the binding. I used a piece of striped fabric. I sewed it down on the wrong side and hand sewed it to the front, so I got the right strip showing up front. I'm almost finished with the second baby quilt .More about that next week.
Thursday, February 05, 2009
We finally got Internet yesterday. We phoned another company and in one day later they were here. Since then I have been trying to get pictures on here, but nop success. So this time it will have to be without pictures. Christine wondered how the Postcard quilt came to be, so I will try and answer . This is the 5th quilt I have organized for the Mennonite Relief Sale in New Hamburg. And they all started the same. Something pops up in my mind. Next the question: is it possible to do. The project will have to be for a big group with different skill levels, from beginners to very advanced. Once I think ti over for a long time, I bring it up at a guild meeting. I explainb my idea and ask for interest. If enough members show an interest I will proceed. With the Post card quilt I set up 2 workshops, where I taught making 4 by 6 inch fabric post cards. Everybody interested took an instruction sheet home. They had to make a 4 by 6 inch fabric postcard.It had to show something that MCC (Mennonite Central Committee) is involved with. I received over 80 cards. I took them in to the local office and from there they went to the head office in Pensylvania. From there the staff distributed the cards to volunterrs all over the world. Their instructions were to write a short note on the back, put a stmap on and pop it in the mailbox. We received just over 5o back. During this time I pieced the center of the quilt in the trip-around-the-world pattern. Over that I appliqued the world map, showing where volunteers lived. Next step was to take it to my friend Carol, who hand quilted it. Once the cards were back I sewed them around the center. Next came another strip of piecing with mariner compasses. The final step was the hand quilting of the border. Quilts like this take a long time from idea to finished quilt. Usually I try to get one together every 3 years and they usally end up being the feature quilt, as the Post card quilt will be this year. Next time more pictures