Wednesday, October 08, 2008

White beans

It has been slow going here on the farm. First I had my yearly dose of laryngitis/coughing spells. I was not feeling sick enough to go to bed, but on the other side not well enough to get anything done. Than on Sunday morning, doing chores, Laurence injured his back. He had a back operation 12 years ago and had been doing well. At first he thought it were muscle spasms, but now it seems to be worse. He cannot sit, lay down or stand for any length of time. And would't you know, the weather turned to really nice and sunny. On Monday afternoon he decided , that if he just could get on the combine, he could sit and harvest some soybeans. It did go slow, but it worked.With the help of some neighbours the beans got combined and some wheat got planted. By evening it took some doing to get hime back down, but according to him, he would have felt the same sitting in the house. At least his mind was on something else. Yesterday was the day for the white beans or navy beans. Not many farmers around here grow them, but if it works out, they are a very good crop. Again Laurence managed to hoist himself in the combine. It did go slow, but by evening all the beans were in the truck, except this container full. It di him good to know, that it was a very good crop. I dipped right into the combine and got a real clean sample. And tonight we had baked beans. According to hubby they tasted fine, but could use some "zap" So next time I have to look for another recipy. On Monday I received my first fabric postcard in the mail I have made many and send away many, but up to now I never received one. This one was made by my friend Karen and this was her first design. Well done, Karen and I hope to see more in the future. With 5 sunny days coming up and more beans to get combined and wheat to get planted, I do not think that there will be much quilting going 0n here at Lauren Farms. The main thing will be to try and get hubby up and around again.
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment