Thursday, January 03, 2008

Another year, the same quilt

Now that the holidays are over it is back to piecing the mariner compass quilt.
On New Year's Eve we enjoyed a fun evening with friends and on New Year's Day we visited Jeanette and Tony. Our son Shawn and his fiance Emily flew in from Alberta on Monday and this was the first time in a while that all six of us were together. We will not see them much for the rest of the week. They will try and get as many things as possible arranged for their wedding in July. That also means, that I have to get this quilt top done before the end of the month. The points have all been pieced and right now I'm working on the sashing. I do not have much fabric left, so I have to be very carefull with the next steps. I'm planning a 31/2 inch 8 point star where the pieces of the sashing meet. In total there will be 16. Then the 10 to 12 inch border will be plain. If I have time ( after the quilting)I will put double piping around the binding. Now I have to decide if it will be machine or hand quilted. My preference will be hand quilting. I guess it will depend on who is available.
A few weeks ago we went to get our yearly supply of birdfeed at a local Amish farm. As with so many others, they have started a side business. This family has a thriving business in bagging up different varieties of birdseed, that they will take to market. The quality is very good and the price is right. They also have a large selection of bird feeders. I found this "soda bottle" feeder and had to try it. The price was right, so I could not go wrong.
And as you can see, it works very well. The smaller birds love it. It takes some time to fill , but a funnel would make it much easier.

2 comments:

  1. Love the title of your post! I feel the same way about some of my projects. Beautiful mariner's compass!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your quilt is absolutely stunning. I love red/white combinations. Can't wait to see it finished. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete