Wednesday, August 19, 2009

A busy week

Last week Thursday we started finally with the wheat harvest and it could not have gone better. By Monday afternoon Laurence was almost finished. Just when he started at the last of the neighbours it started to rain. Not that we were out of work. Monday was also the day to get ready for the chick delivery on Tuesday. A lot has to be done at the last minute. As this picture shows, our quiet road changes during harvest time with lots of activity. It is fun to see how 2 large combines try and get past each other. As I write this Laurence is back combining and he should be done soon. Just for a break we went to Jenny's on Sunday. Laurence received a ticket for a ride on the jet boats on the Niagara river and since it promised to be very hot, this was the week-end. Tony went along for the ride. Jenny and I chickened out and went to the botanical gardens instead. The guys had a great time and came back thoroughly soaked. We had been warned and had dry clothes and shoes along. During the harvest I do not have to be right there all the time, as long as I can do whatever comes along " right this moment". This morning it was announced that the rest of the large strawbales had to be brought inside and some help would be appreciated. Now I can drive the tractors, but I'm not very good at it. This I could manage and by noon another job was completed. Next up was a visit to the doctor for my mother-in-law. After supper it will be the rest of the lawn to cut. Not much in the quilt department will get done! I'm working on the machine quilting of a sashiko piece. It is going, but slow. I should be able to show it by next week. I find that very slowly I can do a better job and my shoulders are not quite as sore. 2 more tops are waiting and then it will be back to some new applique.Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

  1. I have been too busy to quilt too! I had a BBQ, wedding anniversary this week and have a Hebrew midterm and a wedding to go to coming up and so my "block-a-week" schedule has been put on hold. Number four will have to wait a bit.

    I haven't been able to find a place to buy the butcher's paper but our cheese comes wrapped in it. The other night at the grocery store I asked the confuse cheese guy for two extra sheets (which are BARELY the right size) so I am good to go for two more blocks. By then we will need more cheese too =).

    Say hi to your family!
    Janet

    ReplyDelete